The information provided below shall not give rise to any responsibility on the part of the Organization. The provisions of the national legislation in force and the associated texts shall take precedence.
- Draw up a detailed valued inventory in duplicate (incl. brands & serial numbers for electrical goods, skis, bicycles, and brands of any valuable jewellery items).
- At least 15 days before departure, go to the tax office of the commune where you live to obtain a tax certificate (certificat de la perception). Take your last tax forms with you. You will be required to pay the applicable taxes covering the period up to your last day of residence in France (local taxes, property taxes, income tax, etc.).
- Once you have obtained this certificate, go to your local French town hall (la mairie) to obtain a change-of-residence certificate (certificat de changement de résidence). For want of the document of the town hall, proof of residence in France (lease, proof of ownership) will be accepted.
- When you are exporting your belongings from France at the customs post, present:
- this change-of-residence certificate or a tax certificate (certificat de la perception),
- a proof of residence for the period of residence in France (lease, proof of property ownership ...),
- the detailed inventory in duplicate,
- and the proof of residence abroad (preferably the attestation de l’Office cantonal de la Population" or lease copy, work contract copy, proof of property ownership etc).
Formalities and removal must be done only during working days and office opening hours.
Route de Genève BP137
F - 01216 Ferney-Voltaire
Phone: 33 9 70 27 31 83
Fax: 33 4 50 40 09 55
Monday to Friday
7:30 am - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Rue de Genève
F - 01210 Ferney-Voltaire
Phone: 022 717 0280
Fax: 022 717 0289
Monday to Friday
7:30 am - 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm - 5:15 pm
If you have a vehicle registered on green licence plates:
You must contact the customs post in Ferney-Voltaire before leaving the country permanently (Mrs Catherine Neuville Bureau des douanes Route de Genève BP 137 F - 01216 Ferney-Voltaire Phone: 33 9 70 27 31 81 / Standard: 33 9 70 27 31 84 / Fax: 33 4 50 40 09 55 / Email: email@example.com).
IMPORTANT: Export plates no longer exist in France since October 15, 2009, it is thus important to register his vehicle in french plates before leaving the country permanently (end of contract) or upon a change of status no more entitled to the privileges associated with registration in green plates.
If you have a vehicle registered on normal French plates:
Present the original car registration document which will be stamped by the French customs. It will be returned to you in order to complete the registration formalities in the country where you will reside.
If you stay at CERN:
You must also registrer your new address in EDH by filling in the form "Local address change" and change your French card (procedure available in the Admin e-guide).